A Critical Discourse Analysis of The Former President of the Republic of Indonesia (Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono) reporting of the bombings at JW Marriott and Ritz Carlton Mega Kuningan Jakarta in 2009 by using Van Dijk Theory
This research aims to find out how ideology and power strategies are used in SBY’s speech on 17th July 2009 in responding to bomb incident happened in JW Marriot and Ritz Carlton Hotel. The qualitative design was used in this research. Critical discourse analysis is choosed in this research. The data were collected through documentation. The data analysis in this research was used the qualitative analysis based on the Critical Discourse Analysis by Teun Van Dijk. The results showed that, based on the analysis of discourse: First, the power strategy of the President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono’s language was to declare that as an President he owned the power to quell public panic. Second, based on ideological strategy, showed that President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono has a dignity in front of his people. It can be assumed that the results of the ancritical discourse analysis which is done based on Teun Van Dijk theory, President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono's speech more to the establishment of a positive impression before the people as compared to the President's defense of the terror of the bomb itself.
Van Dijk, T.A. 1980. Macrostructures: An Interdisciplinary Study Of Global Structures In Discourse, Interaction, And Cognition. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Publishers. Hillsdale, New Jersey.
Van Dijk, T.A, Kintsch, W. 1983. Strategies of Discourse Comprehension.New York: Academic Press.
Teun A. van Dijk. 1993. Principles of Critical Discourse Analysis. Discourse and Society.Vol. 4.
van Dijk, T. A. (1997). Political discourse and political cognition. Congress
Paper on Political Discourse, Aston University July 1997. Retrieved from van Dijk's homepage http://www.let.uva.nl~teun
van Dijk, T. A. (1998). Critical discourse analysis. Retrieved from: http://www.hum.uva.nl/teun/cda.htm
van Dijk, T. A. (2000).Ideology and Discourse. Retrieved from http://www.discourse-in-society.org/teun.html
van Dijk, Teun A. 2003. Ideology and discourse: A Multidisciplinary Introduction. Internet Course for the Oberta de Catalunya (UOC).
van Dijk, Teun A. 2004. from Text Grammar to Critical Discourse Analysis. Working Paper. Barcelona: Universitat Pompeu Fabra. Vol. 2.
Van Dijk, T.A. 2004a. Discourse as social interaction: Ideology and discourse analysis. London: Sage
Van Dijk, T.A. 2004b. Discourse as social interaction: Politics, ideology and discourse. London: Sage
Copyright (c) 2019 Eduscotech
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
1. Copyright on any article is retained by the author(s).
2. The author grants the journal, right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work’s authorship and initial publication in this journal.
3. Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal’s published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
4. Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
5. The article and any associated published material is distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License